Friday, September 5, 2008

Biological clock

You should know at least at age 15 about the biological clock and its importance in the reproduction life cycle.

On a very basic level the biological clock indicates the sleeping and eating patterns in living things. Women often hear the phrase ‘biological clock ticking’ when referring to her age to bear children. It came as a nasty shock to me that we women are born with a finite number of eggs. Can you believe that? I knew I was running out of time, but not for a second did I think that there was a limit to the number of eggs that I can produce, at least not a limit set at birth!!!

It saddened me to hear about the women who’ve discovered only a little too late that they cannot bear children because their egg supply is exhausted at age 30!!! I should go and check my egg count.

I’ve accepted (inside my head somewhere), that I may never have children of my own. Seriously, what are the chances??? But I’d like to have known about this before, from an awareness standpoint. I feel like screaming at the world – I should have known this when I was younger, and when I could have prioritized. Too late for regrets – but I’m spreading the word for sure.

Would I adopt on my own? I’d like to think, ‘Yes’. The fact is ‘No’. In any case unless I have the funds that would allow me the luxury of being a full-time mother, I would not adopt a child.

Someday I might meet a man whose children I’d like to have, or adopt a new brood of our own. That would be nice; very nice indeed.

No comments: