Friday, July 18, 2008

Confusion and soul-mates

Someone said, “Why are you so confused. I thought you knew what you wanted, so why this now? Looks like you don’t know what you want after all”. I chewed over it last night and this morning and I concluded: a moment of weakness. We all falter at some stages; the key is rising up after and facing the next challenge. The night is a strange period; it brings out sentiments and emotions that sometimes seem incredulous in the broad light of day, and yet as darkness descends, the days seems too practical to be true, and the whispers of temptations come calling.

Do you know any one person who has no doubts or fears? An individual so confident of their decisions that there’s not a single falter in his / her step? I think we all do question our decisions at some point in time, perhaps not all decisions, but some crucial ones at the very least.

I was accused of thinking too much – told that this was my problem. Better a thinker than a doer (or non-doer) with more regrets on his / her shoulder! I think and therefore I am – someone famous said this. I like to think. Fodder for the mind is good for the heart. I just made that up myself.

From Good Will Hunting: Sean to Will

And if I asked you about women I'm sure you could give me a syllabus of your personal favorites, and maybe you've been laid a few times too. But you couldn't tell me how it feels to wake up next to a woman and be truly happy.

And if I asked you about love I'd get a sonnet, but you've never looked at a woman and been truly vulnerable. Known that someone could kill you with a look. That someone could rescue you from grief. That God had put an angel on Earth just for you. And you wouldn't know how it felt to be her angel. To have the love be there for her forever.

And you wouldn't know about real loss, because that only occurs when you lose something you love more than yourself, and you've never dared to love anything that much.

Well, I think that's a great philosophy Will, that way you can go through your entire life without ever having to really know anybody.

The question is, whether or not you're perfect for each other. You can know everything in the world, but the only way you're findin' that one out is by giving it a shot.

SEAN
Do you have a soul-mate?

WILL
Define that.

SEAN
Someone who challenges you in every way. Who takes you places, opens things up for you. A soul-mate.

That's what I'm saying, Will. You'll never have that kind of relationship in a world where you're afraid to take the first step because all you're seeing are the negative things that might happen ten miles down the road.

No comments: