Friday, December 5, 2008

'Catch' my attitude

William James, one of the founders of modern psychology, said, "The greatest discovery of this generation is that a human being can alter their life by altering their attitude."

Don’t we all tell ourselves over and over: ‘Habits are hard to break or ‘You can’t teach an old dog new tricks’? If we step out of this tiny little box that holds us back from experiencing life, we may find, surprisingly, that it’s a whole new world out there.

Brains on overdrive: Is it hard to be positive? Hmmm – I don’t know. It’s so easy to get sucked into bleak dejection and just give up. It’s just as easy to sink along with others who project negative attitudes. But being positive should not really be that hard, should it? Is it just a ‘starting problem’? Once the gears are engaged, is it easier to drive effortlessly?

I shake myself out of this trance as I recall being around silly fools, whose entire lives spill bad attitude, reaching out to drown those around along with themselves, into the muck of self-despair and hopelessness.

I’ve dragged myself out of solitude; fought against the tide of despair; cut-off from those who want to sink in the mire, and I’ll be damned before I head into pessimism again.

I love to crib – sure I do – about mundane things. That’s melodrama for you. After all, being a girl and all, I should be dramatic – or is that again just my attitude?

Sheez – thank you Universe for showing me a better path. Back to action – my attitude had better be contagious – I want people to ‘CATCH’ my attitude.

No comments: